Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Today has been one of those days. I had a great morning at work. I love my job. I even got to hold my boss's newborn for a while. I came home, DH went to work, and it was business as usual. I ordered a pizza for lunch for the three of us and everyone was happy. Then we went to play out in the yard. I was raking and cleaning up and 2DS (18mo) was "helping" me with his own rake. 1DS was back by the fence, he's a big boy, he can play by himself for a bit. Then he started to cry very hard. He cut and bruised two of his fingers, but I wasn't looking at him when it happened and I don't know what happened. He cried for an hour and a half. His crying set off 2DS. I had to give 1DS his Leapster and a glass of milk and put him in his room for 15 minutes so I could regroup. He just kept crying and couldn't or wouldn't tell me what I could do. I ascertained that his fingers still work, and he didn't scream any louder when I squeezed the sore ones than when I squeezed the other fingers, so nothing is broken. I got down to nearly begging him to tell me what I could do to make it better. I told him "Use your words and tell me what you want and I will get it for you." I was willing to do just about anything to get him to stop crying. Then he hit on Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See, and everything was OK. I started reading it to him and then he took over and was reading it to me. I don't know what happened, I don't know if Brown Bear is what he wanted all along, or if he just saw it and decided not to cry anymore. I was fighting tears myself because both boys were so upset, and then he started reading Brown Bear to me and it was just like a fresh spring rain that washes away all the snow. Everything was right with the world again.

No comments:

Post a Comment